1988 Toyota Celica AllTrac Turbo ST165 Black AWD Rally Hatchback 199K miles WA
- Location: Issaquah, Washington, United States
- Make: Toyota
- Model: Celica
- Type: Hatchback
- Trim: AllTrac Turbo (GT-Four)
- Year: 1988
- Mileage: 199029
- VIN: JT2ST68M5J0004601
- Color: Black
- Engine size: 2.0L 16-Valve 3SGTE 4-Cylinder with CT26 Turbo
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Power options: Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Windows
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: AWD
- Interior color: Blue
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear
- Options: 4-Wheel Drive, CD Player, Sunroof
1988 Toyota Celica AllTrac Turbo (GT-Four) description
1988 Toyota Celica AllTrac Turbo ST165 (GT-Four / AWD), Black/Blue
For sale is my Black ST165 1988 Toyota Celica AllTrac Turbo (aka GT-Four) Hatchback with 5-Speed Manual Transmission, Full-Time All-Wheel Drive, 2.0L CT26 Turbo 3SGTE 4-Cylinder, Black Exterior, Blue Cloth Interior. It is just shy of 200,000 miles and as a PNW car, is rust-free. Was enthusiast-owned and I know the 2 previous owners.
The GT-Four was Toyota’s homologated rally car and entry into the WRC Group A in the late 1980s. The turbo, full-time all-wheel drive system, and body kit with fog lights are specific to this trim level of Celica only. It only came with a 5-Speed Manual. This body style, the ST165, was produced for only 2 model years: 1988 and 1989. Due to their high price tag at the time, they didn’t produce or sell much, so they are fairly rare. The ST165 has the more angular style of the 80s, superseded by the more curvy ST185 in the next generation. Those were the only 2 generations of AllTrac Turbo Celicas available in the USA. Definitely one of the coolest cars of the 80s (what rally car isn’t??).
This particular example is fairly stock and although not perfect, it is daily-drivable as-is or ready for whatever you want to build. It does have a few flaws, which I’ll specify below, but overall it’s a nice condition AllTrac. I have owned several of these (both ST165 and ST185), and this one falls right about where an average condition AllTrac can be found. It enjoys not having any rusted body panels thanks to not having been in the Salt Belt or Northeast, so I hope the buyer appreciates that. It’s a great platform to restore or build up.
1988 Toyota Celica AllTrac Turbo
Engine: 2.0L 3SGTE 4-Cylinder 16-Valve, CT26 Turbo
Exterior Color: Black
Interior Color: Blue, Cloth
Title: Clean, Washington State Title
1) 3” post-turbo Downpipe and Cat-Back Exhaust
2) Turbosmart Kompact Series Dual-Port Blow-Off Valve
3) Mishimoto Oil Catch Can
4) HKS Turbo Timer
5) Boost Gauge in A-Pillar Mount
6) Kenwood CD Player
7) Momo Steering Wheel
8) Stock Wheels painted black (starting to peel a bit
9) Rear rally mudflats
10) Recently replaced Interstate battery (May 2018, 42-month replacement warranty from Costco)
11) Tires in great condition, a lot of tread left: Date stamped 2215 (22nd week of 2015)
12) Rust-free rare rally street car that none of your friends will have :)
13) Drivable as-is
1) There is surface rust around the sunroof area from what looks like tape(?) that was removed? (I don’t know the story behind it. The sunroof doesn’t leak water, so it wasn’t to seal it off…)
2) The bottom of the Front Right bumper cracked
3) Needs a better battery tie-down (if you were to pass tech at any race/tracks)
4) Power steering belt has started to screech now that it’s colder out: I’ll most likely tighten the belt before the sale. Recommend you replace it, I don’t know the condition of it.
5) Passenger door lock is stuck: actual mechanical linkages are probably corroded and stuck (common on these cars)
6) Driver side door lock cylinder is keyed differently than the ignition and trunk cylinder. I assume someone had attempted break-in and destroyed the original lock, so it was replaced. So there are 2 different keys: 1 for the door, and 1 for the ignition and trunk.
7) Trunk is missing plastic trim and carpeting: I have access to a parts car that I will try to get and put interior of trunk back in before the sale.
8) ABS Light is on: ABS Module has been removed in the engine bay. (No other warning lights, and all gauges work.)
Currently located in Issaquah, WA.
Thank you for reading.