1987 PORSCHE CARRERA TARGA - LOCAL CA. CAR, LO MILES, 2 OWNER, STRIKING ORIGINAL
Price: US $29,400.00
- Location: Pleasanton, California, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Porsche
- Model: 911
- SubModel: CARRERA TARGA
- Type: Targa
- Trim: 2 DOOR TARGA
- Year: 1987
- Mileage: 103,200
- VIN: WP0EB0912HS161218
- Color: Guards Red
- Engine size: 3.2 Liter
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Power options: Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Windows
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: G50 5-Speed
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Vehicle Title: Clear
- Options: CD Player, Leather Seats
1987 Porsche 911 CARRERA TARGA description
Porsche...There is No Substitute
1987 Porsche Carrera Targa
Low Mileage - Finished in Guards Red w/ Black Interior
3.2 Liter 214 hp Engine & Desirable 5-Speed G50 Getrag Transmission
Professionally Porsche Maintained, 2 Previous Owner Lifelong California Car
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Porsche and answer any questions over the telephone, including our "Buy it Now" policy. Yes, the Porsche can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON eBay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS PORSCHE, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE PORSCHE. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT "PHOTO-SHOP" OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 23+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 890 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
DETAILS-THIS PARTICULAR 1987 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA TARGA
In 1965 Porsche began the 911 model line that has become an icon among sports cars. This 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera Targa represents a limited owner, very well cared for example of the highly sought after 3.2.liter Carrera's that were manufactured from 1984 until 1989. The Porsche was originally sold in Northern California spending its entire life there. All maintenance has been performed by Porsche technicians and is supported by maintenance / service invoices. The most recent maintenance was completed in October 2015. The car has a clean CarFax report showing no accidents and no odometer rollback.
The VIN is WP0EB0912HS161218 and the Porsche is currently licensed and registered in California through May, 2016. The current odometer reading of 103,236 miles is verified based on maintenance records and supported by the CarFax report. The Porsche carries the factory VIN stickers on doors, hood, and trunk, further supporting the cars accident free history. This represents an annual average of only 3600 miles for 29 years plus the car has been driven less than 2000 miles in the past 6 years. The overall excellent condition of the car is more representative of a car with half of the total mileage.
HISTORY AND MAINTENANCE
This car was sold on May 13, 1987, to the original Northern California owner by Porsche Audi of Santa Cruz as evidenced in the included original Warranty & Maintenance Manual. This manual further records the early maintenance by Porsche specialists up through 40,000 miles.
The later maintenance (the past 6 years) is recorded on provided receipts, again from a German auto specialist. More recent maintenance items include:
- 10/22/2015; 103,183 miles-Oil, filter and fluids
- 06/05/2014; 102,993 miles-New battery
- 04/09/2013; 102,737 miles-New oxygen sensor
- 03/19/2013; 102,669 miles; $2,675-Oil, filter, fluids, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, front brake pads & rotors, front wheel bearings
- 08/10/2010; 102,265 miles-Brake fluid flush
- 12/08/2009; 101,679 miles-Ignition relay
All original factory stickers remain on the car and are quite legible (front and rear compartments and door jambs). The sticker under the front compartment lid lists the following option codes:
- C03 - California car
- 018 - Sports steering wheel w/ elevated hub
- 158 - Blaupunkt Reno radio (now replaced with a modern Alpine unit)
- 395 - 16-inch Fuchs forged alloy wheels, 6" wide front/7" wide rear
- 454 - Cruise control
- 474 - Sports shock absorbers
- 3164 cc flat 6 cylinder "boxer" engine
- 214 hp/195 lb-ft torque, 9.5:1 compression ratio
- Overhead camshaft engine with timing chain
- Dry sump engine oil system w/ separate oil tank
- Air cooled
- Air Flow Control fuel injection w/ electric pump
- 5-speed manual Getrag transmission
- Disc brakes all around w/ power assist
- Unitized chassis construction
- Independent suspension all around w/ torsion bars for each wheel
- Front and rear stabilizer bars
- 16-inch Fuchs forged alloy wheels; 6" wide front/7" wide rear
- Bridgestone Potenza tires, 205/55R16 front (9/32" remaining tread)/225/50R16 rear (6/32" remaining tread)
- Cruise control
- Air conditioning; converted to R134a (documented by tag in engine bay)
- Newer Interstate Mega-Tron Plus 6-year battery, 730 cold cranking amperes
- Excellent red paint with very good coverage and very few defects
- No door dings on sides
- Very straight accident free body
- "German quality" fit of all body panels
- Nice Targa style removable top w/ black padded exterior
- Excellent glass all around
- Front bumper area and lower valence are good
- Both black rear bumperettes and exterior trim in beautiful condition
- Dual factory outside rear view mirrors
- All black interior presents a nice contrast to the red exterior
- Black leather front seats both in fine condition
- Rear jump seats w/ folding backs in good condition
- Factory 3-point front seat belts
- Factory 2-point rear seat belts
- All black carpet in good condition
- New black floor mats w/ red Carrera logo on front pair
- Black dash pad; one crack just left of center
- Nice black door panels
- Black sun visors w/ vanity mirrors
- Black liner of Targa top in good condition
- Nice black padded leather steering wheel
- Rear window defogger
- Both doors and both compartment lids open/close solidly with perfect gaps
- After market Alpine CDA-9847 AM/FM CD stereo w/ MP3 and WMA playback
- Front compartment is clean and has nice black carpet
- Factory compact spare tire in front compartment w/ never used 12 volt air compressor and complete factory tool kit
- Very clean engine compartment supporting excellent maintenance - no leaks
The overall cosmetic condition of the car is excellent. The Guards red paint is rich in color with excellent coverage and only minimal slight defects. Paint is original with the exception of minor touch-ups that are well done, match virtually perfectly, and are only visible under close, critical scrutiny. There are no door dings. Both the front and rear bumper areas are in good condition. The Targa top is structurally sound and the padded black covering presents well. All glass is excellent, and original. The premium alloy wheels are nice with only very slight curb rash on the passenger side pair. The premium Bridgestone tires are very nice with good remaining tread.
The all black interior shows beautifully. The leather seats, carpeting, and door panels are all excellent. The black padded dash has one crack just left of center. The front luggage compartment is neat and the engine compartment is remarkably clean. The underside of the car is not detailed but is "California" clean. The entire car is rust free and shows absolutely no signs of accident damage. The Car Fax supports the cars totally clean history.
Best summarized as a pleasure to drive! The car is tight and unusually free from rattles and squeaks often found in Targa 911's. Mechanically we can find no issues and the independent German specialist who service and inspected the car agrees. As a well maintained Porsche the Carrera has never been neglected, abused, tracked or lacked the ongoing maintenance that it deserved.
The car starts immediately and idles smoothly. The 5 speed G50 shifts smoothly and all of the synchros are excellent. The engine is very strong, free from leaks, smoke, or signs of problems. The brakes were done recently and stop the car straight and sure. The emergency brake is fully functional and properly adjusted. Clutch engagement is excellent with no signs of slippage, chatter or issues.
The lighting system is fully functional and the upgraded sound system is an improvement over the period dealer added unit. No holes have been cut in any interior panels for additional speakers.
The mid-late 90's Carrera's have become popular for a reason. They are wonderful cars to drive with excellent performance, precise steering and great handling. This example is not just another pretty face but a well-cared for, low mileage, rust free California Carrera.
- Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, lights, brakes, etc.
- Original Owner's Manual and Warranty & Maintenance Manual
- File of maintenance record
- Clear California title and current California registration
- Original tool kit
- Portable 12 volt air compressor
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1987 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA TARGA
- Rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2+2-passenger, 2-door coupe
- 3164 cc 214 hp 195 lb-ft. flat 6 engine
- 9.5:1 compression ratio
- Length 168.9"
- Wheelbase 89.4"
- Width 65"
- Height 52"
- Turning circle 35.9'
- Curb weight 2756 lb.
- Top speed 149 mph
- 0-60 mph time 5.9 sec
- � mile w/ dead start 14.4 sec
- Fuel capacity 22.5 US gal, premium unleaded
HISTORY OF THE PORSCHE 911
The iconic Porsche 911 is a two-door, 2+2 high performance sports car made since 1965 by Porsche AG of Stuttgart, Germany. It has a rear-mounted six cylinder boxer engine and all-around independent suspension. It has undergone continuous development, though the basic concept has remained little changed. The engines were air-cooled until 1998. Approximately 150,000 Porsche 911 cars from the model years 1965 to 1989 are still on the road today.
This 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera Targa is a fine example of the Carrera 3.2 model era produced from 1984 to 1989. The 3.2 designation comes from the flat 6 cylinder "boxer" engine displacement of 3.2 liters. In 1987, the Carrera got a new five-speed gearbox sourced from Getrag; model number G50 with proven Borg Warner synchronizers. This slightly heavier version also featured a hydraulically operated clutch. Three basic models were available - coupe, Targa and cabriolet.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 23 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 890 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this Porsche by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
Terms & Conditions
Thank You & Happy Bidding
Classic Cars Ltd.
Sellers: Delight buyers. Get your own map of past buyers.
Contact the seller