1953 Packard Patrician Sedan
- Location: Wabash, Indiana, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Packard
- Model: Patrician
- Type: Sedan
- Year: 1953
- Mileage: 57,955
- Color: Black
- Engine size: 327 cid
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Power options: Power Windows, Power Seats
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Tan
- Vehicle Title: Clear
1953 Packard Patrician description
Presented for auction is my 1953 Packard Patrician sedan with 57,955 actual miles. I am the third owner of this car, have owned it for a little over 30 years, and in that time it has always been garaged and maintained. The car was purchased new in the St. Louis area by a physician who owned it for a long time but apparently didn’t drive it much. One of his prescription pads is still in the glove box. The paint is about 75 % original from the factory, spot painted where needed by the previous owner. Upholstery and carpets have been replaced as needed with authentic materials. There is a mouse hole in the headliner (see picture). The car features power windows and power seat (electro-hydraulic, original from the factory), power steering, and power brakes (Packard Easamatic).
Work done to the car last winter includes:
- All new wheel cylinders·
- Carburetor overhaul
- Ignition tuneup
- New power steering hoses
- New muffler
- Addition of an electric fuel pump for quicker starts
- Engine compartment detailing.
Of interest to Packard fans who fear dealing with the Ultramatic transmission is the fact that this car has had the Ultra-Torc conversion to the Chrysler 727 transmission. The transmission shifts well and can be serviced by transmission shops that may not be willing to work on the Ultramatic. For purists, however, this sale will include the original Ultramatic transmission which was completely rebuilt in 1984, never reinstalled, came with the car when I bought it, and has been sitting on a shelf in my building since 1985. So if desired, the transmission can be returned to factory-authentic.
Work still needed includes:
- One hydraulic valve lifter that doesn’t pump up, resulting in clicking when the engine runs and occasional missing on the idle.
- A new headliner if you plan to show the car
- The steering wheel is showing some cracking.
- An overall new lacquer job would be helpful for show, but the present paint is presentable as a “20-footer.” (I did take two trophies with it this past summer.)
- If a new lacquer job is not planned, the rocker panels and one spot on the left rear should be spot painted.
- There is a bit of fraying on the seat piping about where the driver's shoulders are.
I have been a Packard collector since 1974. I have owned several Packards and am fairly knowledgeable. I will gladly answer questions honestly about this car and I invite your personal inspection by appointment. Yes, you can test-drive the car, and yes, if you buy it you can drive it home. I will not ship the car, but I will cooperate with your shipper in any way I can.
I would like cash on pickup rather than any other payment method. I am not interested in time-payment plans, trades, etc.
I am an old guy who has been at this for a long time. I have limited patience with scammers, tire-kickers, non-paying bidders, and other wasters of my time and money. Please do not contact me or place a bid if you:
- don’t intend to follow through and pay for the car.
- haven’t discussed it with your wife.
- just want to chat.
- expect the car to be perfect. I have described it as accurately as I can and I will answer your questions honestly. I am not trying to conceal anything, but if I have forgotten to mention something that your find later I want to be forgiven.
For the record, no warranty is expressed or implied.