1966 OLDSMOBILE 442 CONVERTIBLE - RESTORED - STRIKING WHITE / RED - FRESH ENGINE
Price: US $5,500.00
- Location: Pleasanton, California, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Oldsmobile
- Model: 442
- SubModel: 442 Convertible
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: 2 Door Convertible
- Year: 1966
- Mileage: 61,120
- VIN: 338676M254402
- Color: Porcelain White
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Fuel: Gas
- Transmission: Automatic - "Jetaway"
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Red
- Vehicle Title: Clear
- Options: Cassette Player, Convertible
1966 Oldsmobile 442 442 Convertible description
1966 Oldsmobile 442
Striking in Porcelain White w/ Red Interior; White Power Top
Rebuilt 400 CID 350 hp Engine w/ W-30 Heads; "Jetaway" Automatic Transmission
An Iconic 60's Muscle Car Fully Restored and Ready to Show and Cruise
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our company. However, we continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Oldsmobile and answer any questions over the telephone, including our "Buy it Now" policy. Yes, the Olds can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON eBay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS 442, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE OLDS. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT "PHOTO-SHOP" OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 23+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 890 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
DETAILS-THIS PARTICULAR 1966 OLDSMOBILE 442 CONVERTIBLE
The 1960's was an exciting time for car lovers with the onset of the muscle car, often credited to the Pontiac GTO. Oldsmobile's reaction was to build a muscle car of their own, the 442. This car has now become one of the icons of the muscle era and is highly desired and sought after by enthusiasts.
This particular 1966 Oldsmobile 442 is a particularly fine example having been meticulously restored about 10 years ago and only driven sparingly since. The beautiful Porcelain White paint, white convertible top and all red interior provide a truly classic look. This is further accented by the raised white letter radial tires and the attractive factory wheels. The temptation to upgrade has been resisted with only the radio being replaced with a non-original type (original factory AM radio included). The engine compartment is detailed and beautiful as is the undercarriage of the car.
The VIN on the driver's side door jamb is 338676M254402. The car has a clear California title and is registered through June 2016 with California license plates 5UZR108. The current odometer reading is 61,120 miles and must be considered "Total Miles Unknown" (TMU) as a result of the vintage of the car and inability to document the cars history back to the date of delivery.
RESTORATION AND MAINTENANCE
A large file of receipts is provided covering the period from 2006 to 2011. The bulk of the restoration was performed in 2006-2008. A summary of the major items follows:
- June 2006-Carpet and mats, top boot, sill plates, 442 emblems, glove box, spare tire cover, fan shroud, fan blade, fan clutch, voltage regulator, Flowmaster mufflers, exhaust pipes, front gas shocks, rear air shocks, tail light bezels and lenses
- September 2006-Exterior paint, 2-stage
- June 2007-Heads rebuilt (W-30)
- July 2007-Exhaust manifolds, starter, water pump, fuel pump
- December 2007-Heater box
- March 2008-Motor mounts
- May 2008-Heater fan motor, heater core, dash pad, under-hood insulation
- June 2008-New radiator
- November 2008-Distributor, rebuilt power steering
- October 2009-Alternator, rebuilt carburetor
- July 2010-Miscellaneous electrical repair
- August 2010-Full transmission service
- April 2011-Rechromed door handles
- 400 cu. in. 350 hp 440 lb-ft torque V8 engine w/ W-30 heads
- 4-barrel carburetor
- Original 2-speed automatic "Jetaway" automatic transmission
- Power steering
- Power brakes; 4 stock drum brakes
- Dual exhaust w/ Flowmaster mufflers
- Battery new 01/2015
- Front gas/rear air shock absorbers
- BF Goodrich Radial T/A raised white letter tires, P215/70R14, 10-11/32" tread
- Original 14" wheels w/ Olds emblem center caps
- 2-stage Porcelain White paint
- Very straight body w/ solid panels
- White power convertible top w/ red boot
- Nice beltline stainless trim w/ minimal minor dings
- Nice stainless trim around windshield
- Dent-free bumpers w/ good chrome
- Very nice grille w/ center Olds logo and driver's side 442 emblem
- Dual outside rear view mirrors
- 442 badging on both rear fenders
- Faux air scoop trim aft of front wheel wells
- All light lenses are good and the bezels are nice chrome
- Stock radio antenna on right front
- Excellent glass all around
- Nice original wheels w/ Olds logo center caps
- Attractive raised white letter tires
- Detailed undercarriage; exhaust system appears as new
- Beautiful red seats showing virtually no significant signs of wear
- 4 pairs of red seat belts w/ Fisher logo buckles
- Excellent red carpet w/ older black protective mats
- Crack-free red dash pad
- Very nice red door panels
- New, shiny Fisher logo sill plates
- Red sun visors; mirror on back of passenger side visor
- After market oil pressure, water temperature and voltage gauges mounted under center of dash
- Day/night inside rear view mirror
- Steering wheel has a few characteristic age cracks in plastic
- After market AM/FM cassette radio w/ 442 logo; original AM radio provided
- Solid door bottoms, some surface rust on bottom of driver's door
- Door weather-stripping would benefit from replacement; particularly the driver's door
- Both doors, the hood and trunk lid open/close smartly
- As-new trunk w/ aqua houndstooth mat and spare cover
- New never-on-ground spare tire mounted on matching wheel (not plain steel as was stock)
- Factory jacking instruction stickers under trunk lid
- Good weatherstrip on trunk lid
- Beautiful engine compartment w/ proper light brown engine, shiny air cleaner stickered "Oldsmobile Ultra High Compression 442", and black firewall, inner fenders and fan shroud
- New under-hood insulation
The Porcelain White paint was professionally applied in 2006 and remains very nice with few defects. The coverage is good, there are no "hot spots" with underlying rust, and no door dings. The body is very straight and shows solid panels and solid rocker and door bottoms. There are no signs of significant body rust or rot and the undercarriage was detailed at the time of the cars cosmetic restoration. The aft end of the hood is very slightly raised but could be easily adjusted to be flush. There are no signs of front end damage on the hood or fenders and we suspect the minor misalignment was due to the hood being removed when the engine was removed for rebuild. The trunk is very solid.
The white convertible top, rear window and red boot are all nice. The factory wheels are good with near-new tread depth on the tires. All stainless trim is very nice and near dent-free. All glass is excellent. Both bumpers have nice chrome and are dent-free. All proper badging is in place. The grille is very nice.
The all red interior shows nicely and is a pleasing contrast to the white exterior. The seats show little to no wear with the exception of a minor, �' tear in the seat bottom of the driver's seat that is barely noticeable and can not be seen in the photos. The dash pad is crack-free, the door panels are excellent and all carpeting is very good. The red plastic of the steering wheel does have 4 deep age cracks.
The trunk appears like new with a totally solid floor. The proper aqua houndstooth mat and spare tire cover add a nice touch. The spare tire is brand new. The engine compartment is extremely nicely detailed in stock configuration. You can proudly display the engine at car shows. There are a few cosmetic imperfections in the white paint beyond the insulation pad under the hood. The underside of the car is also nicely detailed with new appearing exhaust etc.
- California smog test not required for vehicles 1975 and older
- Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, lights, brakes, etc.
- 1966 Cutlass/442 Assembly Manual (3-ring binder repro)
- Original thick 1966 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual
- Complete file of restoration receipts
- Red carpet dash pad
- Included is an excellent passenger side vent wing window including the rubber
HISTORY OF THE OLDSMOBILE 442
The Oldsmobile 442 is a muscle car that was produced by the Oldsmobile Division of General Motors. Introduced in the 1964 model year as an option package for U.S. sold F-85 and Cutlass models, it became a model in its own right from 1968 to 1971, and then reverted to an option through the mid-1970s. The "442" name (pronounced "four-four-two") derives from the original car's four-barrel carburetor, four-speed manual transmission, and dual exhausts.
For 1965 the standard engine was a new 400 CID (6.6 L) V8, replacing the 330 CID V8 of 1964. The definition of "442" was then restated as referring to 400 cubic inches, a 4 barrel carburetor (a 515 cfm Rochester 4-Jet), and 2 exhausts. Output for the big engine was 345 hp and 440 lb-ft. The standard transmission was a three-speed manual with either the four-speed manual or Oldsmobile's two-speed Jetaway automatic as options. However, all were badged as 442's.
The 1966 442 got a restyle that was well received by Oldsmobile enthusiasts. The standard 400 CID engine, RPO code L78, was now rated at 350 hp/440 lb-ft with a single four-barrel carburetor. Inside, a revised instrument panel featured two round pods for the speedometer and other instruments, replacing the horizontal sweep speedometer of the 1964-65 models. Production was 21,997, about 10% of total Cutlass sales. Performance tests put the 0-60 mph time in the 6 second range and a quarter mile time in the 15 second range at just under 100 mph.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 23 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 890 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject
- to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- If you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this Olds by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
Terms & Conditions
Thank You & Happy Bidding
Classic Cars Ltd.
Sellers: Get your own map today. Click here now. Simple."
Contact the seller